What is pellevé?
Pellevé is a non-invasive approach to skin rejuvenation. It basically is a radio-frequency based system that has been designed to promote skin remodelling without damage to the epidermis (the top layer of the skin). It has gained popularity in the effective treatment of photoaging (sun damaged and aging skin). Photoaging describes the effects years of sun exposure and increasing age have on the skin such as losing laxity, firmness and appearance of wrinkles.
How does pellevé work?
As we age, collagen production slows down. Collagen is the main structural component of skin. Pellevé successfully restore collagen to a condition that resembles collagen in youthful skin. This is beneficial for the reversal of photoaging.
It heats up the dermis, the layer just below the surface of the skin, causing collagen shrinkage as well as degeneration of the collagen. Fibroblasts in the body’s natural healing mechanism rebuild and remodel the collagen leading to tighter and more firm skin. Because pellevé uses you body’s natural system to remodel kin, several treatments are required for optimal results.
What can pellevé do?
Conditions that can be treated with pellevé include:
- Static wrinkles: These wrinkles are visible at all times and do not change in appearance with facial movements
- Dynamic wrinkles: These are expression lines that may appear as folds when the skin is not moving, and deepen with facial movements or expressions
Am I a candidate for pellevé?
You may be a good candidate for dermal fillers if you:
- Are physically healthy
- Don’t smoke
- Have a positive outlook and realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
- Are committed to maintaining good skin health
What can I expect?
Pellevé is safe and non-invasive. You might feel a sensation of warmness. Treating the entire face may take up to an hour. There are no post-operative instructions and apart from minimal erythema that clears up in a few hours, you may apply your make up and return to normal to normal activity immediately.
What is the recovery time of pellevé?
Pellevé is a non-invasive, non-ablative procedure so return to activity is immediate. This is a major advantage of the treatment.
What are is the risk and safety profile of pellevé?
Pelleve is safe however with the most common side effects been minor erythema (redness) or oedema that clears up after a couple of hours.
What are the alternatives?
There are other non-ablative techniques such as vascular lasers, infrared lasers, intense pulse light and fractional lasers. Each is unique and is best to discuss with your doctor on the treatment option that is designed specifically for you.
How many treatment are recommended?
3-5 treatments are recommended about 1 month apart to enhance the collage rebuilding exercise.
The content on the Nairobi ENT website is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your own physician or other qualified health care professional regarding any medical questions or conditions.
- Elsaie, Mohamed Lotfy. “Cutaneous remodeling and photorejuvenation using -radiofrequency devices.” Indian journal of dermatology 54.3 (2009): 201.
- Meaike, Jesse D., et al. “Noninvasive Facial Rejuvenation. Part 3: Physician-Directed—Lasers, Chemical Peels, and Other Noninvasive Modalities.” Seminars in plastic surgery. Vol. 30. No. 03. Thieme Medical Publishers, 2016.
- Small, Rebecca. “Aesthetic procedures in office practice.” Am Fam Physician 80.11 (2009): 1231-7.